Each spring, we in the School of Natural Resources and the Environment recognize some of the many contributions and achievements of our students, staff, and faculty through a set of awards, described below. Nominations can made by students, staff and faculty. A list of previous award winners can be found here.
The SNRE Awards Committee, which is composed of students, staff, and faculty, reviews nominations and determines the recipients. Nominations are generally due in early April, and the award ceremony held in late April. Please RSVP for this year's ceremony on May 5th, 1:30PM - 4:30PM at the ENR2 Rooftop HERE
For 2022-23, nominations will be due on or before 19th April 2023 @ noon.
Electronic Submission: Google Form
You can download a nomination form that includes a complete description of each award by clicking on the name of each award below.
- University Friend of SNRE is designed to recognize a current university employee who has made significant contributions to the School. Contributions could include fundraising efforts, advice and guidance, increasing the School?s visibility on campus and in the community.
- Community Friend of SNRE is a new award, designed to recognize an individual or organization in the community (not a University employee) who has made significant contributions to the School. Contributions could include fundraising efforts, advice and guidance, increasing the School?s visibility on campus and in the community.
- Diversity and Inclusion is designed to recognize individuals that foster inclusive and welcoming environments on campus and/or at the department level. The individual's professional and service activities should reflect the School's commitment to addressing contemporary issues related to diversity and inclusion. This includes creating safe spaces for communication, encouraging diverse perspectives, recruitment and retention of a diverse employee and/or student population and policy development.
- Outstanding Thesis is awarded to a Masters student who has excelled in all phases of their degree program. This award recognizes both the student's achievement and the advisor's contribution.
- Outstanding Dissertation is awarded to a Doctoral student who has excelled in all phases of their degree program. This award recognizes both the student's achievement and the advisor's contribution.
- Outstanding Scholarly Achievement by a Student recognizes an outstanding original contribution to the body of scientific knowledge by a current undergraduate or graduate student
- Student Leadership recognizes exceptional effort put forth by an undergraduate student or a graduate student in providing leadership to other SNRE students.
- Outstanding Scholarly Achievement by a Faculty Member recognizes an outstanding original contribution to the body of scientific knowledge by any faculty affiliated with SNRE.
- Outstanding Scholarly Achievement by Research Staff recognizes an outstanding original contribution to the body of scientific knowledge by research staff affiliated with SNRE, including postdocs.
- Outstanding Course recognizes a course that is deemed excellent based on being current, comprehensive, challenging, well-taught, and highly regarded by both faculty and students.
- Outstanding Faculty Member recognizes an individual faculty member who personifies the ideals of outstanding teaching, advising, research, and service.
- Staff Award of Excellence recognizes unusual dedication and outstanding contributions by a classified staff member
- Outstanding Student Assistant recognizes the contributions of a student assistants for their contributions and commitment to SNRE.
- Public Service and Outreach Award recognizes individuals for outstanding public service through professional contributions that go beyond their university-related responsibilities.
- Outstanding Alumnus recognizes the contributions of one of our graduates through professional or civic work.
- International Collaboration recognizes outstanding efforts by SNRE faculty, staff or students to foster international collaboration. This award recognizes SNRE members (1) that have made an outstanding contribution to the body of scientific knowledge through collaboration with an International country and (2) who through this collaboration have led to improved resource management strategies or practices in either of the countries.
- "Blooper" recognizes a humorous, embarrassing, or ironic occurrence to a member of the School. This is intended as a light-hearted and good-natured award to entertain members of the School at the expense of some unfortunate soul.